• History

  • In 1761, the Free Union area was added to Albemarle County. Two of the earliest families settling here were James Harris and Daniel and Gabriel Maupin. Daniel Maupin I, lived from 1748 until his death in 1788 in White Hall area on the Maupin Homeplace. Gabriel his son lived on what is now called "Brakeheart Road" in Sugar Hollow until his death in 1794. Gabriel's son Thomas Maupin was the first of the Maupin family to live in the Free Union area. He lived just north of Wesley Chapel Church. He is believed to be buried in the Maupin Cemetery on Pea Vine Road. There are many fieldstones and Ora Maupin and her cousin Marvin Maupin took care of the cemetery for many years. They were not sure of the names for the many fieldstone graves in the cemetery.

    No military action occurred in Free Union during the Civil War, and the village emerged unscathed.

    Thirty-one families lived within two miles of Free Union in 1847. By 1884-85, Free Union contained two coach and wagon builders, two distillers, three general merchants, two liquor dealers, one corn and one flour mill, two physicians, one undertaker and twenty-one principal farmers. By 1911, Free Union had an estimated population of sixty and included several businesses.

  • Free Union Baptist Church

    Built in 1837

    Classical-revival, small scale with gable-end entrance, and some Flemish bond brickwork.

    The church was built during a time when many rural sects of religion did not have the funds to build individual houses of Worship; so four denominations (Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalian, and Presbyterian) built this 'union' church. It was "free" to all races. Dickinson and Sarah Burruss, of the nearby old Homestead estate, gave the land (deeded November 25,1837) to be used "for a Place of worship ... for the different denominations of Christians...one Sabbath or Lord day in every month..," The brick for its construction was made on the Burruss' plantation. James Ferguson taught school in this Church to black students following the Civil War and is purportedly the first of its kind in Albemarle County.

    The village was named after the church-originally called Nicksville after a free slave blacksmith named Nick. In 1847 a Post Office was established in this village and in order to avoid confusion with a nearby town called Nixville, the name Free Union was adopted.

  • Huckstep's Garage (Free Union Store)

    Estimated date of construction - 1925

    Building consists of three parts:

    1-story with gabled roof store of rusticated concrete with pedimented porte cohered large display windows
    Attached to the West is a 2-story stucco house with hipped roof and one story porch.
    On the north is a gable roofed frame garage with concrete block hyphen.
    A store stood on this site since the mid-1800's and at one time included a mill. Owned by the Maupin family for ( ?? ) years, the store burned many times and Was replaced by the current building in 1919.